Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences, MGPGI, Pondicherry
Phone-No: 0413-2279601 to 2279606 2278124
Pondicherry Dental College was established in the year 1990 in a building with only 2 rooms. It was subsequently renamed as Mahatma Gandhi Dental College& Hospital in the year 1995. Mahatma Gandhi Dental College and Hospital was upgraded to present status as Mahatma Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Dental Sciences on08.09.2005 vide G.O.Ms.No. 57 of the Govt. of Pondicherry. It is the only Dental Institute in the country in the Govt. sector on par with other leading Medical Institutes in the country. Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences is offering 5 year BDS course (inclusive of one year paid Compulsory Rotatory internship) and 3 year MDS courses in seven specialities.
The Institution has chosen the Motto “knowledge is power” emphasizing that knowledge is the most essential thing to empower a person. Since the inception, 17 batches of students have graduated from this Institution and 10 batches have completed post-graduation (M.D.S). The degrees (BDS and MDS) are recognized by the Dental Council of India, and Ministry of Health Family Welfare, Government of India and thisInstitute is permanently affiliated to the Pondicherry University (A Central University).
This Institute is an autonomous body under the Govt. of Puducherry, administered by a constituted Board of Governors, headed by the Hon’ble Chief Minister, Puducherry, as Chairman and the Chief Secretary to Govt. of Puducherry, as Vice-Chairperson. Within a short period, the Institute has attained the peak with due recognition from all over India. It has been declared as the best dental institution in the country, in the government sector, by successive Presidents of the DCI.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery BDS
in Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences, MGPGI, Pondicherry
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Admission 2017
Eligibility and Selection Procedure for Bachelor of Dental Surgery BDS in Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences, MGPGI, Pondicherry
The sanctioned intake for the under graduate (BDS) course is 40 seats under the following categories.
1. Puducherry Domicile – 29
2. Non-Resident Indians / NRI Sponsored / Foreign students – 5
3. All India Quota – 6
The selection of the candidates under the Puducherry domicile category is made purely on merit basis by the Centralized Admissions Committee (CENTAC), Govt. of Puducherry based on the marks arrived at by adopting the ‘method of normalization’. The seats allotted under the All India Quota are filled in by the candidates sponsored by the Director General of Health Services (DGHS), Govt. of India through the Entrance Examination conducted on All India basis. The admission under the NRI/NRI sponsored / foreign students are made on merit basis adopting the ‘method of normalization’. The duration of the BDS course is five (5) academic years without Internship. The BDS degree is awarded by the Pondicherry (Central) University after successful completion of the course.
Candidates for admission to the BDS degree course should have a pass in the Higher Secondary examination (Academic) conducted by the Board of Higher Secondary Examination of any State Board i.e. 12th standard or any other equivalent examination thereto as recognized by the Pondicherry Central University, candidate for admission to BDS course must have passed in the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English individually and must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks taken together in hysics, Chemistry and Biology at the qualifying examination. In respect of candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes or Other backward Classes, the marks obtained in Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken together in qualifying examination be 40% instead of 50% as above and must have qualifying marks in English.
The following certificates shall be submitted along with the application for admission.
(i) Birth Certificates/SSLC Marklist/ Proof of Date of Birth
(ii) Higher Secondary Marklist / XII Marklist.
(iii) Transfer Certificate issued by the Institution last studied
(iv) Foreign students should hold / produce valid visa obtained from the concerned Indian Mission abroad.
(v) Caste certificate from the Competent authority obtained
How To Apply:
Application Procedure for Bachelor of Dental Surgery BDS in Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences, MGPGI, Pondicherry
ADMISSION PROCEDURE: Basic Requirements for Admission:-
1. Five seats (5) of the BDS Course at Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences (MGPGI) are permitted to be filled in by Non-Resident Indians / NRI sponsored / foreign students for the academic year 2017-18.
2. Admissions under the above mentioned category are made to the I year BDS course based on the marks obtained by the student in HSC Biology / Botany & Zoology, Physics and Chemistry including practicals. When more than one candidate have got the same marks in the common merit list (i.e. the merit list prepared after merging the normalized marks of candidates from various Boards), the ‘inter-se merit’ among such candidates, for each course shall be determined “in the order of priority” as specified below :-
(i) Percentage of actual marks in Biology / Botany & Zoology.
(ii) Percentage of actual marks in Physics.
(iii) Percentage of actual marks in Chemistry
(iv) Total normalized marks’ of all eligible subjects prescribed for the course.
(v) Date of Birth.
(vi) Random number assigned.
3. The fee of the application form is Rs. 2000/- or equivalent in US Dollars by Demand Draft only.
4. All payments shall be made by crossed Demand Draft only, drawn in favour of DIRECTOR, MAHATMA GANDHI POSTGRADAUTE INSTITUTE OF DENTAL SCIENCES, PUDUCHERRY PAYABLE AT STATE BANK OF INDIA, PUDUCHERRY.
5. The admission fee shall be US $ 18,000.00 and amount should be paid in US $ only. Besides, the admission fee, annual tuition fee of Rs.1.00 lakh (Rupees one lakh only) is payable every year. The admission Fee as well as annual tuition fee should be paid immediately when the candidate is selected for admission.
Last date for Submission form: 30th June 2017
To know more Information about course please visit: mgpgi.puducherry.gov.in