Indian Institute of Technology, IIT, Jodhpur
Old Residency Road, Ratanada
Fax: 291 251 6823
Email: email@example.comWebsite: www.iitj.ac.in
Way back in 1946, an idea grew in visionary leaders of the country, of creating of Higher Technical Institutes for post-war industrial development in India. A Committee, headed by Nalini Ranjan Sarkar, recommended the establishment of these institutes in various parts of India. The first Indian Institute of Technology was founded in May 1950 at Kharagpur. Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, at the First Convocation of IIT Kharagpur in 1956, clarified in his Address that these institutes of technology will help meet the technological challenges of the Nation. During 1959-1960 four IITs were established at Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur and Madras. Subsequently, on 15 September 1956, the Parliament of India passed an act known as the Institutes of Technology (Kharagpur) Act, 1961 declaring IIT Kharagpur as an Institute of national importance. Also, IIT Kharagpur was given the status of an autonomous University. Thereupon, IIT Guwahati started in 1992, and also the then University of Roorkee was given the status of an IIT (and now called IIT Roorkee) in 2001.
Establishment of eight more IITs across the country began with a decision of the Cabinet, which was announced by the Minister of Human Resource Development on 28 March 2008. IIT Bhubaneswar, IIT Gandhinagar, IIT Hyderabad, IIT Jodhpur (earlier called IIT Rajasthan), IIT Patna and IIT Ropar began functioning from 2008, and two others, IIT at Indore and IIT Mandi commenced their sessions from 2009. During the past decades since 1956, IITs became hallmark of quality technology undergraduate education internationally, attributed largely to ambience for quality academics. The endeavor at IIT Jodhpur is to live up to this brand image, which has been built meticulously over the last 60 years, with a renewed focus of producing world-class technology-driven graduates to contribute towards the development of the nation.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) [(Core Sciences: Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics) / (Engineering Sciences: Biosciences and Bioengineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering) / (Inter-disciplinary Areas: AUV Technologies, Cognitive Science, Digital Humanities, IOT & Applications, Quantum Information and Computation, Smart Healthcare, Space Technologies) / (Humanities and Social Sciences)]
The eligibility criteria prescribed in this section are at least the minimum. The Admissions Committee may prescribe requirements over and above these.
(a) Engineering discipline
1. Applicants with a Master’s degree in Engineering namely M.Tech, M. E., M. Sc. (Engineering) or MS by Research with at least 60% marks or at least 6.5/10 Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) or Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA). Such students are required to have at least 60% marks or 6.5/10 CPI or CGPA in Bachelor’s degree.
2. Applicants with a Master’s degree in Sciences with at least 70% marks or at least 7.0/10 CPI or CGPA with a valid GATE, CSIR, UGC or NBHM score card. Such students are required to have 70% marks or 7.0/10 CPI or CGPA in Bachelor’s degree.
3. (a) a B.Tech, B.E. or B.Sc. (Engineering) degree with at least 80% marks or at least 8/10 CPI or CGPA and a valid GATE score, and (b) a B.Tech. degree from any of the IITs with at least 8/10 CPI or CGPA with a valid GATE Score Card.
(b) Science discipline
1. Master’s degree in Sciences with at least 60% marks or at least 6.5/10 CPI or CGPA with a valid GATE, CSIR, UGC score card or equivalent. Such students are required to have at least 60% marks or 6.5/10 CPI or CGPA in Bachelor’s degree. Applicants holding Master’s degree in engineering also are eligible to apply for PhD Programme in Sciences with at least 70% marks or 7/10 CPI or CGPA. Again, such applicants are required to have at least 70% marks or 7/10 CPI or CGPA in both the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree.
2. (2) Applicants holding only Bachelor’s degree in engineering with (a) a B.Tech, B.E. or B.Sc. (Engineering) degree with at least 80% marks or 8/10 CPI or CGPA and a valid GATE score card (b) a B.Tech. degree from any of the IITs with at least 8/10 CPI or CGPA or a valid GATE score card.
(c) Humanities and Social Sciences discipline
1. Master’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, Engineering or allied areas with at least 55% marks or 6.0/10 CPI or CGPA with a valid GATE, UGC or CSIR score.
2. (2) Applicants holding only Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with (a) a B.Tech, B.E. or B.Sc.(Engineering) degree with at least 80% marks or 8/10 CPI or CGPA and a valid GATE score card; and (b) a B.Tech. degree from any of the IITs with at least 8/10 CPI or CGPA or a valid GATE score card.
The Academic Committee shortlists applicants with a proven academic record based on a cut-off of the GATE, CSIR or UGC score card or equivalent. The shortlisted applicants will be called for the Written Examination and/or Interview. Admission will be made based on academic performance in the Written Examination and/or Interview. The Institute shall call the shortlisted applicants for an interview to the Admissions Committee consisting of Faculty Members associated with that particular discipline. Based on the performance of the applicant in the interview in addition to her/his academic record, the Admissions Committee will recommend to the Chairman, Senate, names of applicants found suitable for admission to the PhD Program. All applicants, who are offered admission, will be informed by eMail within a week of the interview process. Persons whose selection is approved by the Chairman, Senate, will be admitted to the PhD Program at IIT Jodhpur, on payment of fee prescribed for the Program.
The norms of reservation for different categories shall be adopted as laid down by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
How to Apply:
Apply Online: Applicants should use the online application form (https://oa.iitj.ac.in/OA_PG_ADMISSION), which will be activated during the time of admissions.
Applicants shortlisted for the written test and/or interview will be required to bring the final submitted application form duly signed along with a copy of valid GATE scorecard at the time of written examination and/or interview.
Applicants are required to pay the processing fee of Rs. 300 in case of General and OBC applicants, and Rs. 150 in case of SC, ST, and PD applicants online while submitting the application form.
In case you have any questions, please contact:
Office of Academics
Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
N.H. 65, Nagaur Road, Karwar
Phone: (0291) 280 1132
Last date of filling online application form
Throughout the year
Cut-off date for an application to be considered for the admission process
15 April (for Semester I)
15 October (for Semester II)
Announcement of short listed applicants for the admission process
20 April (for Semester I)
20 October (for Semester II)
Date of written test and/or Interview
To be announced
To know more Information about this courses please visit: www.iitj.ac.in