Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, IISST, Thiruvananthapuram
Post Thumba, Thiruvananthapuram – 659022
Phone-No: 0471-2568618 2568418 2564808 2564809 2564825
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.iist.ac.in
IIST is Asia’s first Space Institute and the first in the world to offer the complete range of undergraduate, post graduate, doctoral programmes with specific focus to space science, technology and applications. This unique concept took root in January 2007, when IIST was registered as a Society under the Travancore -Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Registration Act, 1955. IIST received the approval of the Union Cabinet on 26 April, 2007 and it was formally inaugurated on 14 September 2007 by Dr. G. Madhavan Nair. In a little less than a year of its establishment, IIST received the recognition of UGC as a ‘Deemed to be University’ under Section 3 of UGC Act, 1956.The Institute has the unique mandate of encouraging and equipping brilliant youngsters from all parts of the country to take up a career as Scientist/Engineer in the Indian Space Research Organisation. IIST functions as a autonomous body under the Department of Space, Government of India.
Ph.D. [Streams: Aerospace Engineering, Avionics, Chemistry, Earth and Space Sciences, Humanities, Mathematics, Physics]
1. Nationality: Applicant should be an Indian citizen.
2. Age Limit: Applicant should be below 35 years as on November 14, 2018. Age relaxation is applicable as per Government Rules.
3. There is no provision for PhD admission in IIST under Self Financing Category.
1. Applicants with Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology as their highest qualifying degree
Applicants with Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology must have secured 65% marks or 7.00 CGPA or equivalent in the Qualifying Master’s degree (60%marks or 6.50 CGPA for OBC, 55%marks or 6.00 CGPA for SC/ST/PD). They must have pursued their Master’s degree on the basis of qualified GATE score. However there is no GATE cut off score for applicants with M.Tech/M.E as the highest qualifying degree, who are applying for Ph.D. in Engineering Discipline. Applicants with Master of Science in Engineering or equivalent from leading foreign Universities with minimum CGPA 9/10 or equivalent can be considered without GATE score.
Selection Procedure: For candidates with M.E/M.Tech as their highest qualifying degree, selection to the PhD programme will be based on a written screening test followed by an interview. However, candidates with a valid fellowship such as CSIR/NET-JRF fellowships and CSIR-NET Lectureship post their ME/M Tech, will be directly called for the interview.
2. Applicants with Master’s Degree in Science as their highest qualifying degree
Applicants must have Master’s Degree in the relevant area with a minimum of 65% marks or 7.00 CGPA or equivalent in the Qualifying Master’s degree (60%marks or 6.50 CGPA for OBC, 55%marks or 6.00 CGPA for SC/ST/PD). They must have cleared a National level eligibility test, such as a valid UGC-CSIR-NET-JRF/Lectureship/ fellowship or NBHM/JEST/GATE and State Government Science and Technology Scheme, in the relevant disciplines.
Selection Procedure: For candidates applying with their Master’s degree in Sciences as their qualifying degree and having a valid score card/certificate in any of the National level eligibility tests listed above, selection to the programme will be based on an interview to be conducted at IIST.
Applicants applying with their JEST score should have secured a rank within the first 300.
Candidates applying with a valid GATE score in a Science discipline, having a minimum score of 500 for General Category (450 for OBC and 350 for SC/ST/PD categories), are exempted from the Ph.D. written screening test conducted by IIST. Applicants having GATE score in Science disciplines less than indicated cut-off above will not be considered for Ph.D. Admission.
3. Applicants with Master’s Degree in Humanities/Management/Social Sciences as their highest qualifying degree
Applicants must have Master’s Degree in the relevant area of Humanities/Management / Social Sciences with a minimum of 65% marks or 7.00 CGPA or equivalent in the Qualifying Master’s degree (60%marks or 6.50 CGPA for OBC, 55%marks or 6.00 CGPA for SC/ST/PD). They must have cleared a national level eligibility test, such as a valid UGC-NET-JRF fellowship/ State Government Science and Technology Scheme or similar fellowship schemes of Central/State Governments.
Selection Procedure: For candidates applying with their Master’s degree in Humanities/Management/Social Sciences as their qualifying degree and having a valid score card/certificate in any of the National level eligibility tests listed above, selection to the programme will be based on an interview to be conducted at IIST.
4. Candidates who have been provided research fellowships by State Government Science and Technology Scheme through competitive written test can also apply. For Candidates having research fellowship by State Government without competitive written test will have to appear for written screening test.
How to Apply:
1) Applications shall be submitted online at the IIST website. Applications received online only will be considered.
2) The applicants will not be allowed to make any changes in their registration profile once submitted. Hence utmost care should be taken by the applicants while filling their profile
3) Application fee is to the extent of Rs. 700/- per Department (for SC/ST/PD and Women applicants - Rs.350/- per Department). If the applicant is eligible and wishes to apply for more than one Research Area in the same Department, he/she need not pay any additional application fee. The application fee is non-refundable. Applicants who wish to apply to multiple departments, will have to pay the appropriate application fee (sum of the application fee for each department).
4) The application fee shall be paid, once enabled by the system one day after the registration, through “SBI Collect” only.
5) Applicants who are employed in Government/Semi Government/PSUs/ Autonomous Bodies need to produce a “No Objection Certificate (NOC)” from the current employer at the time of Interview.
6) SC/ST/OBC/Persons with Disabilities (PD) applicants shall upload the relevant certificate in the website before the prescribed date.
Opening of IIST website for online submission of applications: 1st November, 2018 - 1700 hrs (Thursday)
Closing of IIST website for online submission of applications: 14th November, 2018 - 2345 hrs (Wednesday)
Last Date of Payment of application fee: 15th November, 2018 – 2330 hrs (Thursday)
Date of written screening test: 2nd December, 2018 (Sunday) at 0930 hrs
Interview Dates: 17th & 18th December, 2018 (Monday & Tuesday)
To know more Information about this course please visit: www.iist.ac.in