Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) - 2014
JEST is a common qualifying test for admissions into the PhD and Integrated PhD Programmes in Physics, Theoretical Computer Science and Neurosciences. Following are the participating institutions.
Ø ARIES: Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital.
Ø HBNI: Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai.
Ø HRI: Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad.
Ø ICTS: International centre for theoretical sciences (TIFR), Bangalore.
Ø IGCAR: Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam.
Ø IIA: Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore.
Ø IISc: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
Ø IISER MOHALI: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali.
Ø IISER PUNE: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune.
Ø IISER THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram.
Ø IM.Sc.: The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai.
Ø IOP: Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar.
Ø IPR: Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar.
Ø IUCAA: Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune.
Ø JNCASR: Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
Ø NBRC: National Brain Research Centre, Manesar.
Ø NCRA-TIFR: National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune.
Ø NISER: National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar.
Ø PRL: Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad.
Ø RRCAT: Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore.
Ø RRI: Raman Research Institute, Bangalore.
Ø SINP: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata.
Ø SNBNCBS: Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata.
Ø TIFR-TCIS: TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad.
Ø TIFR: Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai.
Ø UGC-DAE CSR: UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore.
Ø VECC: Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata.
JEST questions are based on the general syllabii of graduation and postgraduation level courses offered by various Indian universities and institutions. JEST question papers are normally not made available.
Qualifying in JEST does not entitle a Research Fellowship:
Applicants seeking admission for a PhD programmes in the participating institutions may first appear for the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST). Using the JEST results, each institute will call a limited number of candidates for further selection depending on their requirements. Participating institutions have their own eligibility criteria. The selected candidates will receive research fellowships from the respective institutions.
· M.Sc. in physics or M.Sc. / ME / M.Tech. in allied disciplines.
· Candidates with M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
· BE or B.Tech. are also considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram and SNBNCBS.
· Talented final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics students may also apply to be pre-selected for research scholarship at IUCAA.
· M.Sc. in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR. At TIFR, only B.Tech. in Engineering Physics and M.Sc. Physics are eligible.
Theoretical Computer Science/Neuroscience:
· Candidates with M.Sc. / ME/ M.Tech. / MCA in Computer Science and related disciplines and with interest in the mathematical aspects of Computer Science. For more details, visit website of IMSc.
· Candidates with M.Sc. (Physics/ Mathematics), BE/ B.Tech./ MCA in Computer Science are eligible for PhD in Neuroscience at NBRC.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech. - PhD Programme
· At HRI, IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, SNBNCBS, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS, candidates with a Bachelor's degree will also be considered for the integrated M.Sc., Ph.D. programme in physics.
· At IMSc, graduates with degree in Science/ Mathematics/ /Statistics /Computer Science/Information Technology/Engineering will also be considered for admission in Physics and in Theoretical Computer Science, as part of an integrated Ph.D. programme. All candidates successful in the course work of this programme shall be awarded an M.Sc. degree.
· At SNBNCBS, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics) / BE / B.Tech. will be considered for the integrated Post-B.Sc.-PhD programme.
· At IIA, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics)/BE/ B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics And Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics And Photonics will be considered.
· At NBRC, candidates with B.Sc. in Physics, Mathematics and BE/B.Tech. in Computer Science will be considered for integrated M.Sc.-PhD in neuroscience.
Integrated B.Tech. - Ph.D. Programme at IIA
· Graduates with M.Sc. Physics, Applied Physics, Post-B.Sc. in Optics and Optoelectronics (Hons) / Radio Physics and Electronics/ BE / B.Tech. degree in the aforestated subjects will be considered.
· Graduates with Bachelors degree in Physics/ Technology/ Engineering will be considered for the Integrated PhD programme and Integrated PhD Programmes in Physics at IISER, Thiruvananthapuram.
How to apply
Applications for JEST- 2014 can be submitted only through online. The process for online submission of applications will be enabled from November 11, 2013.
Following are the steps of the process –
Ø Register yourself before you login. It is assumed that you already have an email-id.
Ø To register, the candidate has to click on the "register to appear for the exam" link in the Homepage. You will receive an email with your account information after registering with a valid email-id. Follow the instructions given in the email for resetting your password and further login.
Ø Login to the JEST homepage with your username (your email-id) and password. Fill the form and save it, or, modify an already saved form. Press the "Submit Application" button ONLY when you have inserted and checked all the mandatory entries.
Ø Upload jpg files of your Passport size photo and scanned signature.
Ø Pay the application fee online (Using Debit/Credit cards/Net-Banking).
Ø After ON-LINE submission of the application form and successful e-payment of the application fee, your submission procedure will be considered complete.
Ø Application Fee of Rs. 300/- (Rs. 150/- for SC/ST) is payable. Visit JEST-2014 website for further details.
JEST 2014 is schedule to be held on: 16 February 2014
Online Application start from: 11 November 2013
Last date for online applications: 10 December 2013
To know more Information about please click here